KB Article: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2091961
In this video, we will look at how to “backup and restore the embedded vCenter Server 6.0 Appliance vPostgres database”.
This video is based on VMware knowledge base article 2091961 - https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2091961
Backup and restore the embedded vCenter Server 6.0 Appliance vPostgres database as a part of your regular vCenter Server database administration.
1. To start the backup process, log in as an administrator to the Windows host machine on which vCenter Server is installed
2. Navigate to the following location and locate the “vcdb.propeties” file
3. Open the file using a text editor and copy the password for “vc database”
4. Next, Download the script file required for this purpose from the “Attachments” section of the knowledge base article
5. Extract the script files from the archive to a preferred location, in this case we are extracting the files to “c” drive
6. Next, open a command prompt and navigate to the following location.
7. Enter the following command, and in this section paste the password of the “vc database” that we copied earlier. Give a location for the backup file to be created and a name. Run this command to start creating the backup file
8. The backup process is now complete.
9. You can see the backup file created at this location
10. Next, let’s see how to restore the vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database
11. As a prerequisite make sure the Backup of vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database is done
12. Ensure that the script file needed for this purpose is downloaded and extracted to the windows host machine
13. Next, Locate and stop the vCenter Server and VMware Content library services from the following location
14. Right click on the service and click stop, click “yes” to stop other related services if asked.
15. The VMware Content library service is also stopped as a related service of vCenter Server
16. Navigate to the following location and locate the “vcdb.propeties” file
17. Open the file using a text editor and copy the password for “vc database”
18. Next, open a command prompt and navigate to the following location.
19. Enter the following command, and in this section paste the password of the “vc database” that we copied earlier. Enter the location of the backup file and run the command to start the restore process.
20. The duration of the restore process has been shortened for video purposes.
21. Restore process is now complete.
This concludes our look at how to backup and restore the embedded vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database.
For additional information, see VMware Knowledge Base article - Back up and restore vCenter Server Appliance/vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database, https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2091961